Олимпиадная работа по английскому языку (7 – 8 классы)
TASK 1 READING
итого: (30 points)
1. Read fragments from stories about famous illusionists.
For answers to questions choose the names designated by letters A-E.
“0” is the example for you.
A. John Henry Anderson was a Scottish magician who performed in Europe and the United States in the early 19th century. His favourite trick was bullet-catching, but his best remembered for pulling a rabbit from a hat. He didn’t think of the trick first, but he made it popular and there have been variations on it ever since.
B. Robert Houdin was born in France in 1805. He was originally trained as a clockmaker. He first appeared as a magician in Paris in 1845. He used common objects to create illusions rather than complicated pieces of machinery. He was known as the father of magic and it was from him that Harry Houdini took his name years later.
C. Howard Thurston was from Ohio. He started by touring and doing card tricks. In 1908 he met the magician, Harry Kellar. Kellar sold him his tricks and Thurston turned them into a 3-hour long magic show. He toured with it for over 20 years. He was well-known for illusions such as the “floating lady”.
D. Harry Houdini was born Erik Weisz in Budapest, Hungary. Before taking up magic, he worked in a circus. His world-wide fame came from his amazing escapes. One of his most incredible escapes was from a box that was locked, roped, weighted then lowered into water. Late in his career he went to Hollywood and made films, performing his own stunts.
E. David Copperfield was born in 1956 in America. He began performing at the age of twelve. He is noted for his ability to make objects disappear, something he has done frequently whilst on the air, watched by millions. He once made the Statue of Liberty, America’s most famous landmark disappear. He also walked through the Great Wall of China. From the late 1970s, he was on TV in The Magic Show of David Copperfield.
0. was born in Scotland? __A__
1. made a famous trick he didn’t invent?_____
2. performed illusions with large objects?_____
3. acted in films?____
4. pulled objects from a hat?_____
5. performed in France and gave his name to another magician?___
1. Read the text and do the tasks below.
A Trip by Plane
An American farmer wanted to make an air trip. There was an airport close to his farm. So one morning he came there to ask if he could make an air trip.
"You see," he said to one of the pilots, "I have never flown before, but I would like to." The pilot told him that the price of the trip was 10 dollars for a ten-minute trip. "Oh, it's a dollar a minute," the farmer said. "Can't you reduce the price?" The pilot thought for a minute and then said, "I won't take any money if you don't say a word during the whole trip." The farmer agreed.
"By the way," said the pilot, "you may take your wife too." The farmer was happy.
The next day at three o'clock the farmer and his wife arrived at the airport. Soon they were up in the air. The plane flew at a high speed, it went up and down very quickly, but since the passengers didn't say a word.
"You are brave people," said the pilot. "I thought you would be afraid to fly."
“Well,” said the farmer, “I am glad, I will not have to pay for the trip, as I didn’t have to say a word, but I wanted to speak to you when my wife fell out of the plane”
A Write down whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F).
1. The farmer didn't like the price of the trip.
2. It was a trip on the ship.
3. The farmer decided to take his wife because it could make the price of the trip less.
4. The price was 10 dollars for each minute.
5. The passengers kept silent when they were in the air.
6. The farmer's wife was quite well after the trip.
B Answer the following questions.
1. What kind of trip did the farmer want to make?
2. Did he find the trip cheap or expensive?
3. What was the price of the trip?
4. On what condition did the pilot agree to change the price of the trip?
5. Who joined the farmer?
6. Did the plane fly slowly or quickly?
7. Did the passengers speak much during the trip?
8. Did the farmer pay for the trip?
9. What happened to his wife in the air?
TASK 2 USE OF ENGLISH
1. The Volga is …river in the territory of Russia.
a) long b) longer c) the longest
2. … birthday is it next week?
a) Whose b) Whom c) Who
3. Perhaps they …a new house next year.
a) will buy b) buy c) shall buy
4. Two years … Derry bought a car.
a) ago b) for c) since
5. My favourite subject at school is … Biology.
a) the b) a c) –
6. Do you get … letters every day?
a) much b) many c) a many
7. George plays …the violin rather well.
a) - b) on c) in
8. My elder sister is afraid … height.
a) - b) of c) with
9. Jean always stays in fashion. People like ….
a) hers b) she c) her
10. When a student, Mike spent two years in … Germany.
a) a b) the c) –
Ответы на задания: 7-8 кл.
TASK 1 READING
1. An American farmer wanted to make an air trip.
2. He found the trip expensive?
3. The price of the trip was 10 dollars for a ten-minute trip.
4. The pilot said, "I won't take any money if you don't say a word during the whole trip."
5. The farmer’s wife.
6. The plane flew at a high speed, it went up and down very quickly.
7. The passengers didn't say a word during the whole trip.
8. The farmer didn’t pay for the trip.
9. The farmer’s wife fell out of the plane
TASK USE OF ENGLISH